Wednesday 16 January 2013

2013 Comics Resolutions Part Two

I have finally got round to completing my list! So many non-comics related stuff to do so little time!  I had decided to make a list of six comic runs or series I must read (or re-read) during 2013.  Here are the final three:

I have attempted to embrace DC's New 52 but I am becoming increasingly disillusioned,  I dropped Marvel almost ten years ago so as I gradually rationalise my monthlies the theory is that I can read stuff I actually enjoy.  I enjoy Marvel Bronze Age horror so I am going to read Werewolf By Night.  This series is nowhere near as good as Tomb of Dracula but well worth a revisit if only for Mike Ploog's art.


Werewolf By Night #7 (July 1973)
Art by Mike Ploog

You can't beat the classics so it is time to revisit Walt Simonson's Thor. Is it better than Kirby?  Only one way to decide so Stan and Jack's Journey Into Mystery/Thor must be devoured.


Thor #350 (December 1984)
Art by Walt Simonson


Thor #160 (January 1969)
Pencil art by Jack Kirby, inks: Vince Colletta

I am looking forward to 2013, what will you be reading?

4 comments:

  1. I think I'll try the DC Showcase Weird War Tales at some point. I ordered the 2nd volume of the DH reprints of Marvel's Kull before Xmas-still waiting on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have thought about Kull but I have to read all my Conan first!

      Delete
  2. As noted in my previous comment, I have indeed been reading through a bunch of my accumulated Avengers material over the past few weeks. And your post brought a smile to my face because I recently acquired the first four volumes of the Walt Simonson Thor Visionaries books (that 5th one is a tough to find for a reasonable price...), so those are definitely near the top of my comics reading list this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt Simonson's Thor is one of the high points of Bronze Age Marvel, possibly the highest.

      Delete